The parish church of St. John the Baptist is next to the castle in Penhow. The original Church tower could date as far back as the early parts of the Castle and was completed in 1290 and dedicated to the Abbot of St. Maur in France, the home of the St. Maur (Seymour) family.
Following the reformation the Church was rededicated to St. John the Baptist. Although the Church has Norman foundations, it was largely rebuilt in traditional style in the early 20th Century. The Church is noted for it's peal of 6 bells.