Get in touch via email here

Have any questions? Just call us on 01633 400624

Penhow CommunityCouncil News

Minutes April 2019

02-May-2019

Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday, 3rd April 2019 at St John’s Hall

Present at the meeting were:

Chair:John Wagstaff

Councillors:Viv Batchelor

Keith Jones

Graham Pollard

Bob Shepherd

Anne Underwood

Ray Mogford NCC Councillor

Clerk:Nicola Sutherlandclerk@penhowcommunity.org

 

 

1. Apologies – Beryl Morgan, Michael Weekes  
2. Previous Minutes – Proposed by Graham Pollard, seconded by Anne Underwood.
3. Matters Arising Best Kept Garden Competition – information to be put into the next edition of Community First. Banking Review – bank account has been updated with new signatories. Chair to be added as a signatory.

 

Pot Holes – pot hole on Market Road has been repaired.Excellent, speedy response from Street Scene.

Items for Street Scene – now called City Services.Broken branch has been safely cleared. List to be created.

Noticeboards – Arrangements for new doors have been made for the noticeboard.Quote to be obtained for potential new board.Chair to investigate siting of new board.

Bench maintenance – ongoing.

Defibrillator training – this will be advertised in Community First and on our noticeboard.

Letterhead – Viv Batchelor has created a new logo for use by the Community Council.

Litter picking – first community litter picking event taking place on Sunday, 7th April, 9.00am at the park.All welcome.

Parking – a leaflet about safe and courteous parking will be created and delivered to all houses in Parc Seymour.

 

4. Public Participation Pot holes – this has been addressed. Planning applications – concern raised about security issues arising from detailed plans being available online.Plans are currently available dating back to 2010.Guidance available online from Information Commissioner Office about what the Council and applicants can do to meet guidelines.

 

Hedging – Chair to write to households where hedge is encroaching the pavement.

 

5. Ward Councillor Matters (i)Discussion and feedback from the NCC Councillors New bins to be delivered to residents. £1.3million has been invested by NCC to encourage all residents to recycle more.

 

Five Lanes Recycling Centre – Mr Mogford has been discussing the use of this facility with Monmouthshire County Council.

Boundary Review is currently taking place.

Mr Routley will become Mayor of Newport in May 2019.

Mr Mogford left the meeting at 8.20pm.

 

6. Councillor Areas of Responsibility Matters Updates (i)Community Liaison - Bob Shepherd Hall

 

Hall floor is due to be re-covered.

Community First

Grants- £1000 to Penhow Village Shop for a new freezer and £350 to Llanvaches Residents Association.

(ii)Green Spaces – Michael Weekes

No new issues reported.

(iii)Highways, Bye-ways, Public Rights of Way and Access to the Forest- Anne Underwood

Some issues with accessibility for footpaths raised.

Greenmeadow Lane – potholes need repair.Clerk to report to City Services.

(iv)Mentor – Beryl Morgan

No update available.

(v)Penhow Guide – Community Council

The guide is being updated.

(vi)Recreation Grounds and Street Furnishings -John Wagstaff, Keith Jones, Graham Pollard

Inspection of grounds has taken place.

Dog mess is still being left in the park.

Locks for the grounds to be investigated.

New bin for the play area to be investigated by the Chair.

Residents are placing bins on the park – Chair to write to residents to ask to remove.

Memorial bench to be installed on the park.

New plaque for bench by bus stop to be ordered.

Bee Friendly leaflets given to councillors.Item to be included as part of PCC Community First article. Leaflets to be placed in the shop.

(vii)Community Council Liaison Meeting – Feedback from Chair

Presentation about Newport marathon (May 5th 2019).

Wellbeing overview presentation.

Independent Renumeration Panel Review update – this will be an agenda item for May 2019.

 

7. Village Matters (i)Best kept front garden competition Applications for the competition are coming in.

 

(ii)St John the Baptist Church request

Agreement to give a donation of £500.

(iii)Great British Spring Clean – Viv Batchelor

Sunday, 7th April 9.00am first village event.

(iv) Operation Harley – police initiative targeting the illegal and anti-

social use of off-road vehicles.

PCSO to attend May meeting to update PCC about Operation Harley.

 

8. Planning Applications (New) (i)Old Duckpool House – no objections raised. (ii)Hillcrest Farm – query to be raised.(Viv to draft and send to NJS)

 

(iii)Extinguishment order, Footpath No. 402/4/2 – no objections raised.

 

9. Planning Application (Updates) (i)Castle Farm.Permission granted. (ii)Land adjacent to Rose Cottage. PCC comments sent in.

 

(iii)1 Seymour Avenue. PCC comments sent in.

 

10. Accounts & Financial Matters (i)Banking review and changes to financial arrangements – Bank account has been updated with new signatories and new clerk will take over the role of Responsible Financial Officer from April 2019. (ii)Agree payments

 

SLA Grounds Maintenance – agreed.

Clerk Salary – agreed.

(iii)Balance update – will be reported at May meeting,

 

11. Admin Issues (i)Petty Cash – expenses to be claimed rather than petty cash kept.

 

 

12. A.O.B None
13. Next Meeting – normally May 1st 2019 at 7.15pm Meeting closed at 9.25pm
14. Correspondence – (i)Operation Harley information (ii)Community Council Liaison Meeting Agenda

 

(iii)Environment Agency – Hinkley Point C

(iv)Great British Spring Clean

(v)Training dates – One Voice Wales